Sunday, 15 November 2009

Changes to Animation

After watching the video a few time I started to notice a few problems with the animation, the joints were glitching alot and the movements werent smooth enough so I decided to re-animate certain areas of the model.

In the screenshot you can see the item I selected to re-animate, I needed to animate these again as the movement wasnt smooth or right so I tweaked the animation and made it alot smoother and more realistic.
I used the same techniques as before by using the "AutoKey" tool so it keyframed all the movements as I did them. I made sure that the main bolt was always in the centre of the coupling rod joiner.I also selected the joining bar and re-animated all of the points for it so that it moved properly with the bar below it.
I used the select and rotate tool to make sure the movements were fluid and smooth.
Here are some screenshots in parts of the animation to show the changes.

The bar moves up to above the framework.
It then goes straight upright.
It goes all the way back round to the left like a pendulum, back to the starting point.
The next part that I decided to add was the train tracks movement.

I used the "AutoKey" technique again as it makes keyframing alot quicker and saves alot of time in the long run. I started by making part of the track appear under the train wheels and undercarriage and the next section of track appears below the track so that it can raise up.
I then moved the train track upwards to be inline with the starting track at the 15th frame, I then started moving the tracks backwards like a rolling road, so that all of the animation from the train movement wasnt destroyed by moving forwards.

I did try to make it all move forwards but it kept glitching and messed up all of the animation so I decided to try a rolling road technique, I call it rolling tracks!I then keyframed every 15th frame so that it would move at the same pace as the wheels.
This technique seemed to make it look like the train was moving and was pleasantly suprised with the results.After I had animated the tracks to the point that the wheels werent moving anymore I decided to add a camera to show the movement of the tracks.

I selected the "target camera" and aimed it at the back of the train, then I used the "AutoKey" to make the camera move positions half way through the animation to show the side of the train movement.

Here is the new side animation showing the changes made to the movement of the wheels and bars.



Here is the video using a camera to show the track animation

No comments: