Sunday, 11 October 2009

Adding Ears to Head

This part of the project has been the hardest part for me as every time I tried to add the ear to the head it made the skin stretch and look horrible or didnt weld properly but after about 4 attempts I got it right!

To add the ear I cut out a shape of an ear in the side of my head using the polygon tool and then counted the amount of quads I had on the side of my ear.
After I knew how many quads I had I connected parts of the side of my head to create new quads so that I had the same amount of quads as the side of my ear so I could connect the parts properly.

I selected the "border" tool and selected the hole in the side of my head then click and dragged whilst holding the shift key down to pull out new quads from the side of my head.
Once I had pulled out the quads far enough I clicked "alt + X" to make the face see through and then clicked on the vertex tool on the modify panel to start clicking each vertex and dragging to the point I wanted to snap to on the ear.
I then moved each vertex to each part of the ear to join it up and once I was happy that all of the points were connected I clicked on the face and then clicked "attach" and selected the ear.
Once the ear and face were attached I used the select tool and selected all of the vertex points there were attached to the ear but not welded yet and then clicked on the "weld" button and made sure each point was now welded together.

The next step was to click and drag the ear nearer to the head and to start editing it so that it was positioned correctly on my head and had the shape of an ear.
I looked in perspective view and was very happy with the result and then just tweaked little areas of the face so that it looked right.
I then edited my jaw line and chin so that it looked more like my face.
The next step is to add the skin material to the face.

1 comment:

  1. In hindsight, it is a good idea to think about how many quads your ear connection has, and then design the area of the head which will accept the ear to have the same.
    You managed this well though, with no significant pulling of the mesh.

    ReplyDelete