First of all I when back into Photoshop to do some editing to the images from before, the reason for this is to create the topology for the side of my head so that I had a reference point for creating the side part of my head.
Once I was happy with the image I had to put the image into 3DsMax.
To do this I just changed the original material I had on Max and then clicked on the diffuse option and selected bitmap and opened the file which was the new image I had just created.
Once it was on the material editor I click and dragged the image onto the right hand side plane and it changed the image to what I wanted it to be.
Now that I had the image in 3DsMax it was time to start editing the model I had created previously.The main structure of the model was complete but the shape at the top and the sides werent quite right so using the technique I used previously I selected the "edge" tool and selected the edges I wanted to extend and whilst holding the "shift" key down I clicked and dragged the edges to the point I wanted them. After I had made them the length I needed I clicked on the "vetex" tool and clicked on the "snaps toggle" tool and the "angle snaps toggle" tool on so that when I click and dragged the vetex's to the points already created so it would weld better.
Once I was happy with the shape I highlighted the new areas I had created and then selected the "weld" tool and welded all of the points together so it was a whole mesh.
Now it was time to start creating the head shape, to do this I first created a sphere that was the size of the top of my face shape and covered my eyes with just my nose showing through.
Then using the "uniform scale" tool selected the x axis and shrunk the sphere so it had more of an oval shape to it.Once I was happy with the width and height of the sphere it was time to edit it and remove useless polygons.
To do this I selected the "polygon" option in the modify panel and then selected the "paint selection region" tool and selected the circle option so that I could select areas in bulk.
Then it was a case of removing any triangles and areas where the face was coming through leaving a shell around the face making the basic shape of the head.
The next step was to start extruding areas of the sphere so that it created the shape of my skull, to do this I selected the edge tool in the modify panel and selected all of the edges around the sphere and holding the "shift" key down and clicking and dragging down using the "select and move" tool.Now that I had dragged down different sized quads it was time to edit the shape and sizes using the vetex tool to shape it in the shape of my skull.
Now that I had the basic shape of my skull it was time to extrude the points out to make the skull solid, using the same technique as I used to make the skull I selected the edges and held down "shift" and moved the points left towards the front of my face so that I had the side of my head filled instead of having a large hole in my head.Once I had the bottom half of the side of my head filled I selected the points that were overlapping and clicked on the "weld" button and welded the points together so that it was one mesh that could
When I had tested the movement I used the same technique to finish off the side of my head and then connected all the points so it was all one object (the head).The next step was to add a few extra quads as I could see that the head shape wasnt round enough at the top so I selected the top edge of my head and selected every quad to the bottom of my face and then selected the "connect" tool and it created the quads I needed to change the shape of my head.
Once I was happy with all the quads I decided to join the face to the head by using the "attach" tool.I selected the sphere from the list and clicked the Attach button and the face and head were joined.
When I looked at the top of the head on perspective view I noticed that the top of the head was cracked open as it wasnt alligned to the middle and the side of the head wasnt attached so I checked if the side of the head was welded to the front of my face and it wasnt so using the weld tool I selected the vetexs that were next to the face and welded them together so that the whole object was one mesh.Then I used the vetex tool and moved each part of the top of my head and the back of my head so that it joined in the middle symmetry and made a whole head.
Once all of the areas were welded and made whole I checked the side and top view and was pleased with the look the next step was to start editing the shape of the face and head so that it had the shape of the side of my head.
To change the shape and design of the head I used the "vertex" tool in the modify panel and selected each vertex and moved them using the "select and move" tool and moved each to a position that made my head look like the picture.Once I was happy with the editing of the face and head I decided to start creating the neck and shoulders for my model.
To create the neck I used the extrude method that I used before for the side of the head, selecting the edges at the base of the head using the "edge" tool and then holding the "shift" key down then using the "select and move" tool to pull down the new quads then using the "vertex" tool changing the position of each vertex and then repeated the technique to create the whole neck structure.
Once I had the full neck created using the technique mentioned, I then had to create the natural curves in my neck, to do this I had to edit the vertexs by using the "vertex" tool and editing the shape with the "select and move" tool and then once I had edited all the areas I turned on the turbosmooth modifier and saw the results on screen to make sure the shape was right. 
Once I was happy with the neck and head it was time to start creating the shoulders, using the same technique as before I created the quads sideways and then moved them using the vertex tool.
The next step is to create some ears
You joined the back of the head to the face very well, and also filled in the side detail and modelled it so that it had a good rounded effect. Well realised neck and shoulders. You managed to weld the vertices to good effect.
ReplyDeleteJob well done - there is no significant pulling on the face and neck area, no splits in the mesh and there is enough detailing to actually pick out the zygomaticus (Cheek muscle) and the jaw line.