Friday, 9 October 2009

Creating The Ear

Creating The Ear

To create the ears I first had to go back into the Photoshop file I had already created and removed the topology from my face and to create the topology for my ear instead.
To do this I created a new layer and then started to make quads around my ear and over my ear.
The next step was to put the image onto 3DsMax onto the plane for the side of my head, to do this I clicked on the material editor and selected the image from before and changed it to a new bitmap which was my new image.
This then placed the new image onto the plane to start creating the ear.
The next step was to create the ear, to do this I used the spline technique as before when making my face, using the line tool and the snap to vetex I started creating the quads once I had a the quads created I right clicked on one of the lines and made it an editable poly and then clicked on attach and select all the other lines and it made a whole object.
Then using the "select and move" tool I dragged out each vetex and made the shape of a 3D ear.
Once I had the form of my ear it was time to start adding extra detail to it, to make the adjustments I needed to make the ear look more realistic I had to select each vertex and move it to a point that looked right and then check it with a turbosmooth to see if it looked right.
I also used the polygon tool to select a few areas of the ear and extrude them to a place that made it look like it was indented.
Then to make the hole I extruded into the ear and then removed the end polygon so it could be seen through.
Once I was happy with the shape and detail of the ear I needed to start creating a bit of thickness to the ear, to do this I held down "alt" then pushed "Q" to go into insolation mode so that I only had the ear on screen so I could edit it easier.
I changed the views to right and perspective to it was easier to edit the ear, then I selected all of the top edges using the edge tool and then holding down "shift" clicked and dragged sideways to create new quads.
I did this twice then on the 2nd time I used the "uniform & scale" tool to make the shape go inward.
Now that I had a 3D ear it was time to try and get it onto my head.

1 comment: